Wednesday, October 16, 2019

I might be able to afford this...

I love sailing.  Dad caught the sailing bug when he was stationed in Hawaii, and he passed it on to me on Lake Coeur d'Alene years ago.  But sailing is expensive, my friends.  One of Dad's favorite quotes is "A boat is a hole in the water, surrounded by wood and fiberglass, into which you pour all of your money."  And that's no joke.  As expensive as it is to keep working on my motorcycle, a boat would be exponentially more expensive.  And so I've not done much sailing, because I didn't have the money.

But this, now....  Put a sail on a canoe?  I can see myself tacking around whatever body of water happens to be nearby, and I can pull everything on my trailer which I already own.....

There might be a new hobby in my future.  We'll see.  I still have to spend money on other things first, but damn, to be able to go sailing again...

3 comments:

p2 said...

Might I suggest a perusal of Adaptive Curmudgeon's series on his home built sailboat?

OC said...

Showing my naivety here, but can one rent a sailboat?

Ragin' Dave said...

Yep, you can rent one, IF you're near a place that rents. My dad rented sailboats for all his cruises through the San Juan Islands in Washington State. But a day sailer might be prohibitive to rent on a regular basis. By the end of the summer, you might just want to buy your own.

And I'll take a look at the home built sailboat. Thanks!