Thursday, August 08, 2019

I think I have the grounding problem fixed

I spent Tuesday morning in the garage with the bike torn apart while I pulled out all the various brackets and wires and shovel grommets and then cleaned and polished and scraped and greased and reassembled.

And it works.  Yay!

Now I have to change the fuel pressure regulator.  FPR, for short.  Apparently, the FPR goes bad on the VTX 1800, and that leads to fuel in the oil, which is what we like to call A BAD THING as that reduces the viscosity of the oil and leads to damage.  If it's really bad, your miles per gallon goes to hell, bike runs like crap, and you can smell gasoline in your engine oil.

Well, my bike is getting good mpg, and it's not running rough, but I can smell the gasoline in the oil.  Which means I caught it in time, and I don't have to tear the entire engine apart, I just have to replace the FPR and change the oil.  The FPR was shipped yesterday, should get here tomorrow, and then I can do the work on Saturday.

I swear, if you want to learn to be a mechanic, just buy an old vehicle and start fixing it up.  You'll learn more than you ever wanted to learn.

No comments: