Friday, April 28, 2017

But the SCIENCE was SETTLED! We had a CONSENSUS!

Salt ain't bad for ya, folks.

Consuming fewer than 2,500 milligrams of sodium daily is actually associated with higher blood pressure, according to the Framingham Offspring Study report, given today. The American Heart Association recommends consuming no more than 2,300 milligrams of sodium daily, equal to a teaspoon of ordinary iodized table salt. 

High blood pressure is a known risk factor for heart disease and stroke. Hence, lowering salt intake is supposed to lower blood pressure and thus reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and stroke. But the study found that supposition to be unfounded. 
Moreover, the lowest blood pressure was recorded by those who consumed 4,000 milligrams or more a day — amounts considered dangerously high by medical authorities such as the American Heart Association.

I eat a lot of salt.  I don't sprinkle it on my foods, but I eat bacon.  I snack on salted peanuts and sunflower seeds.  I eat cheese, which has quite a bit of salt in in.  I add some to every dish that I'm cooking, depending on what flavor I'm looking for.  I have never once worried about my salt intake.  In fact, I've worried that I'm eating too little salt, given how much I sweat in the summertime.

But chalk this up in the category of "Things about which you have not been told the truth."  It can go up there along with "EGGS ARE BAD FOR YOU!" and "EAT MORE CARBS!"  And once again, the next time someone demands that you respect whatever bullshit their pushing " because SCIENCE and stuff!" just remember this.

No comments: