Friday, May 15, 2015

A second cigar review

So, back when CigarCity.com sent me some cigars to review, they sent me two of the Rocky Patel Vintage 1992.  In my first review of this cigar, I noted a strong pepper flavor, and the fact that it died out probably an inch from the nub before I was ready to stub it out.  After smoking the first cigar, I decided to let the second cigar sit in my humidor and get happy for a while.  I figured that maybe the trip had made the smoke perhaps a bit harsh, and I didn't get the full flavor and experience of the cigar.

I lit the second cigar up last night.  My original review still holds true:  Sweet tobacco flavor, with spice and pepper building up.  But after allowing it to rest in a humidor for a bit, the sweetness of the tobacco holds constant throughout the smoke, even with the building pepper notes.  And this stick burned all the way down to my finger-tips.  I only stubbed it out once it was no longer safe to hold.

For you non-cigar smokers out there, or for the newer cigar folks, I have to point out that Anthony from CigarCity.com did everything he could to get these cigars to me in good condition.  They came in the mail faster than any other cigar shops I've dealt with, and they had a humidification pack in the bag with the cigars to make sure they didn't dry out.  But I live in the desert.  Yes, LA is a desert, and it affects anything that you mail here.  These conditions affect a cigar in transit.  Giving it a rest in a humidor improved the smoke considerably, and moved it up in my rankings.  It is still a stronger cigar, especially towards the end.

I just wanted out point that out - my first review wasn't exactly a glowing review, but allowing the cigar to sit for a while improved it considerably.  This is a cigar I would actively look for in a shop's humidor.

2 comments:

Drumwaster said...

"Yes, LA is a desert, and it effects anything that you mail here. These conditions effect a cigar in transit."

*Sigh*

Not to pick nits, but I'm about to. That should be "affects" and "affect". You can affect something, or get an effect. Affect is a verb, effect is a noun. {nitpick OFF} {/pet peeve}

That having been said, I haven't smoked a cigar since the early 80s, and I gave up cigarettes back in '99.

Ragin' Dave said...

That's what I get for typing that post up after a glass or two.

Fixed it. Thanks.