Thursday, October 10, 2013

Andouille

Just finished up a batch of andouille sausage.  The Mrs. and I use lamb casing, because with it's small size we can cook the sausage entirely with just smoke.  True andouille uses a larger casing, but we don't have the facilities here to properly smoke a larger sausage the way it needs to be smoked.  So we use lamb casing.

I had forgotten just how badly lamb casing stinks.  Sheep are truly some of the most foul smelling animals on the planet, both inside and out.  I've helped butcher one before.  I often wonder just why we ever domesticated them.  And then I put on a wool sweater on a cold day and go "Oh, THAT'S why!"

So, Saturday we fire up the smoker.  Some friends of ours have given us plum wood from a tree they had to fell; we'll see how that makes the sausage taste.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's your recipe?

Ragin' Dave said...

Who's asking?

I can't find where the Rzgin' Mrs put the recipe book right now, but I'll post it when I find it.

Unknown said...

Me. :)
I've tried a couple different recipes and haven't found one that I really like.
It was easier to comment anonymously. I'm lazy.

Ragin' Dave said...

Here ya go:

Andouille


1 lb pork
1/2 T salt
1/2 chipotle
1/2 t cayenne
1/2 t sage
1/4 t nutmeg
1/2 t allspice
1/5 t black pepper
1/2 bay leaf
1/10 t thyme
1/2 clove garlic

Keep in mind that we normally make this in three pound batches or larger. We just have this broken down into measurements for one pound so that you can multiply it as needed. I like adding more cayenne.

If we cold smoke it, we stuff it into lamb casing, and that allows the lower temp smoke to cook it all the way through. If you stuff it into hog casing you can hot smoke it. The Ragin' Mrs. prefers to cold smoke it, so guess which one we do?

You can eat it plain if need be, but it should be smoked. Otherwise it's just a strongly spiced sausage.

Unknown said...

Thanks!!!