Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial



Click for full size.  I took this while in Washington D.C. a little over a year ago, having the honor of being the Color Guard at a reunion of WWII vets.

Everyone has seen the photos.  But I don't think there is a single photo out there that can convey what that monument conveys in person; panel upon panel of black stone, covered with names, seemingly stretching on forever.

Have your BBQ, I know I will.  Have your beer, because I know I will.  And pour a little out for the people who gave that to you.

I know I will.

UPDATE:  It looks like Blogger shrunk the photo, so there is no full size for the clicky-clicky.  If you do want the full sized photo, just email me and I'll send it to you.

1 comment:

Bill in England said...

Thoughtful and well-written article about the history of the memorial below which you might find interesting.

http://www.city-journal.org/2012/22_3_urb-vietnam-veterans-memorial.html

Some unspeakable filth defaced the London memorial to the dead of Bomber Command with Islamist graffiti yesterday.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2332108/Clean-operation-begins-war-memorials-defaced-Islamic-slogans-veterans-charity-foots-bill.html