Saturday, February 12, 2011

Homebrewing

I never did tell you how my first batch of mead came out, did I?  We ended up using a sherry yeast, because both the Ragin' Mrs. and I enjoy a good sherry.  It turned out...  well...  awesome.  Using honey made it both rich and sweet, and the sherry yeast gave it a unique flavor that you can't buy anywhere.  One batch we added pomegranate juice to, and the results are spectacular.

Needless to say, we're brewing up a few more batches of various things.  As of right now I have a hard apple cider fermenting in my basement, a batch of apple-honey wine, and three different melomels, which are mead mixed with some sort of fruit.  We have an apple melomel, a cherry melomel, and one melomel that mixed with spiced mulled cider, which would make it a melomel metheglyn.

Yeah, I know, all these new terms.  Melomel is mead made with fruit added into it.  Metheglyn is mead made with herbs and spices added in.

And to top it all off, my buddy and I just started a five gallon batch of nut brown ale.  We added a few more hops than you normally would, but that's just because we like them.

Later today, the Ragin' Mrs. and I are headed up to a home brew shop to pick up some supplies.  Gonna make a day of it.  Later, I'll take the dog for a walk and smoke a good cigar.  So in short this day is going to be all about relaxing and enjoying myself.  You know what I'm not going to do?  Blog about the news.  My blood pressure will thank me later.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to dine.

No comments: