Friday, May 01, 2009

So where the hell did Dave go?

Well, first I was helping put on a training event for over 200 people, and then I had a day off. And then I was a competitor in a little event called the Best Warrior Competition. I won my unit, lost the regional. I was runner up. Kinda ticked off about that one. I guess the difference between my score and the winners was about thismuch or so. As a certain senior NCO put it "You couldn't fit a butt-hair between the two."

So while I wasn't the winner, I was pretty damn close. And hey, I ended up with some swag! Yay me! I think I also re-discovered how much fun it is to be a Soldier, and to be around Soldiers, instead of being around stick-up-the-ass desk jockeys day in and day out. I tell folks that the more I sit behind a desk, the more I hate sitting behind a desk. And that's about the truth of it. I didn't think I'd have fun during the BWC, and the night land nav course flat out SUCKED DONKEY BALLS, but all in all I had a hell of a time, met some damn fine Soldiers, and enjoyed myself.

FYI - if you've never heard the gastronomical symphony caused by a platoon of people eating MRE's twice a day, well... I'd say you're missing out, but being awoken at 0200 hrs. by the sounds of twenty people farting in the style of Bach's Tocata and Fugue in D Minor, while amusing as hell, isn't something I would recommend for the faint of heart.

So I now get to have Saturday off, and then I jet off for yet ANOTHER mission. So I'll post when I can, but don't expect any more of me next week than ya got last week. Anyways, I've got things to take care of tonight as well. Toodles!

No comments: