Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Teaching Republicans Lessons

Frusration misdirected will get us the exact opposite of what we want. Talk of sitting out elections so that we teach Republicans a lesson by electing Democrats will teach Reupublicans to act like Democrats if they want to get elected. Losing Fred from the Republican primary is sad, no doubt. Make no mistake about it, it wasn't Democrats who let him go, it was Republicans voting in their primaries that did this. For all intents and purposes, that means you and I. In fact, I personally am guilty of voting "other than Fred" in an attempt to deny the DMSM loved candidate Mike Huckabee a win in the Iowa primary. It wasn't the only reason I voted for Mitt, but it was the deciding factor as I was torn between the guy I'd been supporting and the guy who got in the race late. The Democrat Media is our enemy. They are the ones gushing over Huckabee and giving him night-before-the-primary-late-night-talk-show-love. They are the ones who've rediscovered their love for "maverick" John McCain. They hate Romney because he (mostly) talks the conservative talk. They hated Fred even more for the same reason. They either ignore or tear down whoever champions the ideas we support. And "we" are the ones falling for their bullshit as primary results (in at least South Carolina) show. There will be no revolution without a victory in the public debate. Our ideas will carry our candidates, not the other way around. You can't expect a handful of politicians to face down their political opponents alone when those opponents have the world's largest megaphone carrying their water. We are losing the debate and it has nothing to do with the strength of our positions. It's because we are drown out in every conceivable way by the DMSM. And furthermore, when the hell did we stop accepting converts? I understand that Mitt Romney has taken liberal positions on issues during his time as governor of Massachusettes. Given that the state is overwhelming liberal, there is no way he'd get elected to statewide office without assuring MA voters he'd fall in line with some portion of what they consider acceptable. He also pushed back against the liberal agenda when possible (homosexual marriage, abortion, taxes). He takes some liberal positions now that frustrate me (specifically related to the global warming fraud). He is also actively arguing for many things that I agree with (enforcing immigration laws, low taxes, a strong military, traditional values and the importance of the family). In supporting him, I'm supporting those ideas as much as I am supporting him as an individual. I refuse to let perfect be the enemy of good. I'd even hold my nose and vote for McCain if it came to that, because I'd at least have done my part to keep a hard core leftist like Hillary, Obama or Edwards from beating a so-so conservative and influencing my life for the next 4 years (minimum and that isn't counting Supreme Court nominations). And in the case of McCain, he's been steadfast for victory in Iraq which is of paramount importance to me. I understand frustration. I'm frustrated as well. We can't let frustration make us irrational. We have to be practical and we have to be realistic. If we can't influence our primary in a way that completely satisfies us, what the hell makes us think we can influence general elections in such a way? There is too much to lose to just LET hard core leftist democrats have the executive.

No comments: