Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Blogspot is bugging me

If you're wondering why I didn't post yesterday, it's because BlogSpot was crapping out. Those of you who use Blogspot know that there is now a "New" Blogger and "Old" blogger. I belong to the "old" setup, because I quite honestly hate dealing with "NEW! IMPROVED! SPIFFY!" crap, when we all know it's just the same damn thing with a few different lines of code to change something that may or may not have needed changing in the first place.

So today it's working, but I wonder how long I'll be able to go before I'm forced to switch to a new thing that I don't want and don't care about.

Bleah.

Anyways - Florida 41, OSU 14. What the hell? Did I not just hear news pundits and football "experts" assuring me for close to two damn months that Florida didn't have a chance? The only reason they got to the Championship game is because Urban Meyer was whining? Golly gee it should have been Michigan and OSU in the championship game?

Yeah, right. Yet another reason to go to a playoff type system. Here's what I would do if I were in charge.

- College seasons would be ten games.
- After the college season, each Divison 1A conference would have it's own championship game. Non-conference teams would play in a non-conference championship game
- The conference champs, plus two wild cards, would play in a single-elimination playoff system until the championship game was reached. That would give us eight first round playoff games, four second round games, two third round games and one championship game. I included the two wild card teams to even out the schedules and avoid having to give any teams a first round bye. It would also allow the inclusion of kick ass teams who might not be their conference champs. Let's say that Florida and LSU (just to use as examples) were 12-0 and 11-1 respectively, while a different conference didn't have anyone higher than 10-2. That would allow the 11-1 LSU to still get into the playoffs despite the one loss (presumably to the SEC Champion 12-0 Florida team).

This system would eliminate most if not all the claims of East Coast or West Coast bias, conference bias, or anything other than their records. You think you could be champs? Prove it on the field or go home. It would also remove the blatant bias that the coache's poll adds into the BCS. C'mon, the only reason Florida got into the Championship game was because enough coaches said they should. And that's horsecrap. Can you imagine if the Championship game, as many people wanted, was OSU and Michigan version 2?

Right now, I think that Florida could have beaten OSU or Michigan, hands down. But if it weren't for a few coaches pulling one way instead of the other, we would have never known that. Remove the human factor as much as possible in determining who gets to play for the top spot.

Anyways, that's my two cents. I'd love to see BSU playing another team this weekend.

No comments: