Thursday, May 11, 2006

Sorry I haven't been posting much

Life gets busy sometimes, ya know?

Anyways, I just wanted to let people know that I'm still alive. Couple of things in my head to get out, as it were.

First, Jolly Time makes a salsa popcorn now. Good stuff. The wife picked some up, and we've been munching on it. Just spicy enought to make me happy. Not enough to make me beg for milk.

Second - I was taking my NCO to his medical appointment yesterday, as he's new here and doesn't know his way around San Juan yet. Yes, for major medical stuff, we have to go on the economy. It's paid for by the Army of course, but.... well, let's just say that I hope to G-d that I never break a bone here.

Scratch that - I'd be sent to the VA, and that's one of the better hospitals in San Juan. But my wife? Well, you might remember this little three week stay we recently had in San Antonio? Yeah. Ain't no doctor down here was gonna open her back up.

As I was saying, I was taking my sergeant to his medical appointment. It was going to be a while, so I went and got a cup of coffee, and found a place to smoke my pipe while I waited for him. It was during the duty day, so I was in uniform. I found a little bench, settled down with my java and my pipe, and just enjoyed the weather.

I saw a father and son walking up to the building, and the kid waved at me. So I waved back. I'm thinking "Nice kid", and thinking about things I have to do back at the office when the kid stops and whispers something to his dad, and his dad whispers something back, and all the sudden the kid runs over... and shakes my hand.

Every now and then I'm forcefully reminded that the world isn't all Leftists and "progressives". That was one of those moments.

No comments: