Friday, April 01, 2005

Vacation blogging

Took a trip on down to Chincoteague Island, Virginia last week. Took pictures galore; thought I'd share.



Chincoteague Island is home to the Assateague Island National Seashore and the Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge. Largely undeveloped place, naturally, and largely devoid of the kind of hubbub, noise, trash, and traffic that accompanies visits to other beaches roundabout my home, primarily I think because it's not close to New York, which is where the hubbubic loud trashy people leave to go to beaches in New Jersey and Delaware.

Though Chincoteague is famous for its wild ponies (none of which were close enough for me to photograph), the refuges are homes to all manner of wildlife, especially birds. Birds galore.

NOTE: Every time I go to a place like this, it makes me want to shell out $800 for a real nice digital camera that will work with my film camera's zoon and wide angle lenses. I don't have eight hundred bucks for a camera, alas, so these images from a $250 Olympus will need to suffice.


Snowy Egret


Great Blue Heron


Tundra Swan


Turkey Vulture

Well, there you go. Maybe this should have been entitled "Bird Blogging", eh?

No comments: