Monday, March 21, 2005

Thoughts on Terry Schiavo

1st, I agree with Kim du Toit. Why in the name of all that is holy are we giving control of this issue to CONGRESS?!?!?!?!?!?!

Once the government takes power, it does not give it back. Giving Congress power over this matter means that they'll have that power from now until this country falls. It's idiotic.

Second, before the whole issue of "life or death" can be determined, we need to cut through all the bullshit of "he said she said" and figure out just how alive Terry Schiavo is. Does she respond to verbal stimuli? Does she recognise individual people? If the answer is yes, then she's not really brain dead, is she? Also, why is the husband refusing to let the parents take over responsibility for her? They've said that they're willing to take care of her, and that he can get a divorce if he wants and move on with his life. He's refused. WHY? My mental alarms are going off with this guy, and I'm wondering what he's trying to hide.

And lastly, my mother has plainly stated (although in much nicer terms) that if she's to a point where she can't even wipe her own ass, pull the plug. Plain and simple. My mom doesn't want to live if it means that I have to wipe her butt while a machine breathes for her. And I can respect that. But I don't know if that's how Terry Schiavo felt. So I can't make that decision for her.

My impulse is to keep her alive. Her parents want to take care of her, and her husband seems overly eager to put her to death. I don't understand why you would want someone to die when people have made it clear that they'll take care of any responsibility, so I'm firmly on the side of "Keep her alive", if only for the thoughts in my mind that the husband may be the one responsible for her brain trauma.

Don't get all pissed off and send me notes for one side of the other. I'm just expressing my thoughts.

UPDATE: Gee, read a few blogs and look what turns up!

There is considerable evidence that Mr. Schiavo has no interest in his wife's welfare. He refuses to permit the physical therapy patients in Terri's state generally receive. Although a CAT scan of Terri's brain has been done, he refuses to allow PET and MRI scans, which are the best diagnostic tools for determining whether enough of her brain exists to sustain consciousness. And witnesses claim Terri has lost teeth and developed bedsores as a result of neglect.


Refused an MRI for his wife? There should be alarm bells ringing in the heads of all right-thinking people. You do not refuse a test for someone that you love and want to recover. Period. This whole story stinks like week old fish, or your local liberal protesters after a day in the sun.

We have to fight for a right to life for non-pretty people. We’ve already lost the battle to defend the unborn. Now liberals want to kill full-grown people who are inconvenient to have around. Liberals laugh when conservatives say “slippery slope,” but look where we are today. Fifty years ago, people would have been outraged by hospital staffers badgering them for permission to kill their relatives. But now it’s routine, and we starve babies to death, and we abort female children because we want boys. If we keep exercising the prerogatives of godhood, within a decade or two, we’ll be killing retarded newborns. I’m sure it’s being done already, knowing what I know of the current excesses of the liberal culture of death, but I believe we’ll be doing it openly.


'Nuff said? Yep.

No comments: