Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Semper Fidelis

From the halls of Montezuma, to the shores of Tripoli,
We fight our country's battles in the air, on land and sea.
First to fight for right and freedom, and to keep our honor clean;
We are proud to claim the title of United States Marine.

Our Flag's unfurled to every breeze from dawn to setting sun.
We have fought in every clime and place, where we could take a gun.
In the snow of far off northern lands and in sunny tropic scenes,
You will find us always on the job, the United States Marines.

Here's health to you and to our Corps, which we are proud to serve.
In many a strife we've fought for life and never lost our nerve.
If the Army and the Navy ever look on heaven's scenes,
they will find the streets are guarded by United States Marines.


Yeah yeah yeah, I know I'm Army, not Marine. But my father was in the Corps for twenty-two years, and I'm damn proud of the military background in my family. So pardon me whilst I celebrate.

Semper Fidelis, Marines. Happy Birthday. Two-hundred twenty nine years of kicking ass and taking names. And judging by your actions today, you're still doing it better than ever.

Oh, and for those who are curious:

Great-grandfather: Army (American-Indian wars, Calvary)
Grandfather: Navy (WW II)
Uncle: Air Force
Father: Marine Corps (Viet Nam)
Me: Army (Back to where we started)

No comments: