Sunday, November 06, 2011

Papa's got a new set of wheels

Well, it finally happened - I bought an new (to me) vehicle.  My job is going to require me to travel just as much as it did last year, only I'm going to be driving to a majority of the duty.  I get paid mileage to drive to my TDY, but my poor old Nissan truck just wasn't going to make it.  Too many miles under the hood, too many things starting to wear, and I didn't want to get stranded in Chicago or St. Louis with a truck that's hit it's limit and has died.

So, I went down to our local trust-able dealer, found something within my price range that would be a good little runner for me, and bought it.  My truck is now going to be passed down to the Ragin' Step-Son, who will learn to drive on a manual transmission.  Which means that this truck will end up serving three generations of the Ragin' Family.  It's got over 235,000 miles on it right now, and the engine is still good.  It's the rest of the truck that's falling off.  I've had lots of people tell me that a V-6 engine doesn't last very long.  Mine sure did.  It got me through Seattle, Puerto Rico and now Wisconsin.  It had a few major repairs, but fixing it up was cheaper than buying a new vehicle, and dammit that was MY TRUCK.

I actually apologized to it when I brought the new one home.  How messed up is that?

Anyways, it'll get driven a lot less now, but it's still ready to go.  I'll use it for hunting, hauling trash, and teaching the step-son how to drive.  He'll use it when he absolutely needs to get somewhere, and we aren't available.  It ain't dead yet.

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

And the new vehicle is????

Ragin' Dave said...

Small, light-weight, and four-wheel drive. And a manual transmission.

Heh heh heh!