Monday, July 13, 2020

Wear Marks

I work in an old building.  Unless you've been in the Army, most people don't understand the concept of "old buildings".  I'm not talking just some building that's been around for a while.  It's....  well, here, let me show you.




That's the post at the bottom of the stairs in my building.  There are at least five different layers of paint on that thing (mmmmm, lead paint!), and it's been worn down through sheer amount of use.  A century of hands have touched that post, and another century will probably do so after I'm gone.

When I was at Ft. McCoy, there were barracks being used that were built in 1942, that had a projected five year life-span.  Seventy years later, they're still being used.

That's an old building.  And Army buildings have a certain smell.  It's hard to explain.  It's like a mix of Pine-Sol, gun oil, sweat, and Drill Sergeant breath.

Anyways, there's some random crap that just fell out of my brain.

1 comment:

Deserttrek said...

Fond memories of some buildings one with stone and the other concrete stairs each 50+ years old. They were cupped from years of wear and i can only hope more years of wear