Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Put Put Kaput

As best as I can tell, the fuel pressure regulator on the bike just took a shit.  Started feeling a little jerky on the ride home.  By the time I got to my exit, it was stuttering, backfiring, had to keep it revved, and there was a smell of gasoline in the oil when I checked it after the engine had cooled down. 

So now I have to try to get a new FPR here in time for me to replace it for Memorial Day.  Don't know if that's going to happen.  Plus, gotta change the oil.  With a '02 VTX, when the FPR goes out, it basically dumps enough fuel that it leaks around the pistons and floods the oil pan.  Can't run the bike with crappy oil.  And there's maybe 3000 miles on that oil.  It's Amsoil.  That stuff will run for 5000 miles easy.  Not anymore.

All of this to say that IF I can get a new FPR here, I'll be busy on Friday.  If not, I'll be riding the Mrs. motorcycle for the ride folks have planned.  Not the best option, but it's an option.

No comments: