Sunday, September 22, 2019

Oh, for pete's sake....

I'm re-assembling the fender of my bike.  Checked all the wires.  Got rescue tape for any bare wire (splices and other joinings)  All I need now is some shrink wrap to put around the wires so I can put everything back together.

Except that nobody around here sells shrink wrap in anything more than two or three inch pieces.  Which is fine if you just want to cover a splice, but doesn't do a damn thing for me and my three feet of wiring that has to be run along-side the support strut of the fender.

I found one roll of shrink wrap that was an actual length, not just a snippet.  I brought it home, hoping against hope that it was wide enough for three wires to fit through.  It was not.

I found a small piece of flex tubing, much as you would see in your car, in a four foot length.  Ran the wires through it.  Tried to re-assemble the fender, but the flex tubing was too thick for the fender strut to lay against the fender, and therefore, threw the whole assembly off.

And so now I'm off for another TDY, which means that bike is going to remain unassembled until the shrink wrap I order online and I both get to the house in the same time frame.  Dammit, I'm missing good riding weather.  Grrrrrrrr......

2 comments:

p2 said...

Just wrap the whole bundle in F-4 tape. It'll be tighter, flexible and do as good, if not better job of chafe protecting. Overlap each wrap by 1/3 to 1/2 the width of the tape. Give a gentle tug on the tape as you wrap to stretch it a bit. That heats it up and makes it adhere to itself better.

Ragin' Dave said...

I'll have to grab some of that when I get back. There's a couple different hardware stores on my way home from the airport.