Monday, September 16, 2019

It appears that higher education is experiencing a problem with enrollment

Good.

Those who saw modest high-school graduation dips by 2020 as surmountable must now absorb the statistical reality: Things are only going to get worse. As Nathan Grawe has shown, a sharp decrease in fertility during the Great Recession will further deepen the high-school graduation trough by 2026. Meanwhile, the cost of attendance for both private and public colleges insists on outpacing inflation, American incomes continue to stagnate, and college-endowment returns or state subsidies can no longer support the discounting of sticker prices. ...

Don't get me wrong.  I strongly support getting an education.  Hell, I've been teaching myself new tricks ever since I left the publik skool sistim.  But what you get at a university these days is not an education, it's an indoctrination, and the end product (i.e. an educated population able to function in an adult world) is so far below the quality of what it supposed to come out of college that employers are now sitting up and taking notice.

Say you're in a business where you don't necessarily need a STEM degree in order to successful.  Would you rather bring someone in and teach them, knowing you'll get an employee who will do the job right, or do you want to hire a college grad that may or may not know the job while bringing an entitled attitude and sneering SJW mindset?  A bachelor's degree used to actually mean that a person was educated, but with colleges dumping the actual education (like Western Civilization) and replacing it with mind-eating bullshit (like gender studies), there's no guarantee that a degree from State University confers any actual knowledge, wisdom, education, or job skills.

Look, I'm going to college right now, online.  Part of it is that if I want to advance any further in my chosen field, they require a degree.  It doesn't matter what degree, they just want to see a degree.  So I'm getting a degree in business, because I'm hoping to run my own business after I retire.  It's simple, really.  I need a degree, and I need to know how to run a business.  So I'm getting a degree in business. 

But when I first left high sckrewll, I was going to double-major in Music and English.  I sent applications to all the universities.  I got scholarships that would have cut the cost down.  But in the end, I walked away.  One, I was sick of school.  I still am.  I hate sitting in a classroom.  Two, I honestly think the hand of God pushed me back.  What in the hell would I do with a double major in Music and English?  How the hell would I pay that back?  And why in the hell didn't any responsible adult pull me aside and say "Hey, Dave, I get you want to do this, because you like Music and English, but just how much money do you think you'll be making after you graduate?"

I'd like to point out that we're still paying off the Ragin' Mrs. student loans, because after she got her education she couldn't make enough money in her chosen field to actually pay off her student loans.  THAT is how fucked up our education system is.  D

I guess I'm saying that the higher "education" system can collapse, and I wouldn't shed a tear.  The system we have now is broken, pretty much beyond repair.  If this system breaks down, there will be another system to replace it, one that might not be a communist-infested indoctrination camp. 

Or maybe, just maybe, the people running the system we have now might actually learn something.  HA!  Right.

No comments: