Friday, July 12, 2019

Tell me again about that impressive university degree...

Because I still don't give a shit about it.



If I meet a doctor, and he's got a degree from Yale, I'll probably be impressed.  If I meet an engineer, an actual, honest-to-god, builds shit twenty stories tall engineer, and he's got a degree from Stanford, then I'll be impressed.

When I meet Upchuck Schumer Jr., and he's got a degree from Harvard, I'm not impressed.  Being rich and having your politically connected daddy buys you entrance into said university?  That just makes me think less of that university.  And my opinions of universities is about as low as it can go, and still going lower with each passing week.  And please don't tell me that these politicians kids have somehow managed to get into these schools on their own merit.  Most politicians don't have the intelligence to tie their own shoes, and I highly doubt their kids are any smarter.  "Oh but Dave, they're LAWYERS and such!"

Back in L.A., I met an actual, real SMART PERSON, and he had his Juris Doctorate.  He was working in a production company doing video editing.  He was so disgusted with the people in the law career that he took his $$$$$$ degree and walked away from the entire field.  With lawyers like Glenn Reynolds as an outlier, the vast majority of lawyers are morally compromised idiot savants who are really really good at regurgitating what they read in books.

Real estate lawyers excepted.  Those people do some yeoman's work, outside of a courtroom.

Anyways, I just wanted to take yet another opportunity to remind you that a college degree is just a fancy piece of paper that says you've been well and duly indoctrinated, and are worthless to the majority of occupations that are worth a damn.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

True.

In my youth I worked retail along side a PhD in Physics. He had the brains alright but not sufficient to write proposals for grants, actually he'd rather do pure research than play that game. Plus, as socially inept as he was, he did not do well schmoozing the clients. The bureaucracy won.

I have known two with law degrees (Cornell and Stanford) who, although of high marks, refused to complete the BAR exams. So they practice as much as they can but only to guide a client but not practice law.

By way of a common interest I became knowingly acquainted with a lawyer in Colorado. His morals were suspect, my summary of him is he is one to avoid, that sooner or later he will get clipped by the law and I do not want to be there when it happens. The last I had heard, he was appointed - not elected - to be a judge in his district. Woe to come before a judge with perhaps less morals than the defendant.

My own ex-step-daughter who I put through school (separate sordid story there), she now is a tenured professor and has an ongoing practice is Psychology. She is so effed up* that I have oft felt to contact her clients to warn them.

*from college classes to personal counseling, every psych I have ever met is more kooky than I am. I give them credit for wanting to find why they are as such but c'mon, let it go and just get on with life. However, this one, my ex-step-daughter, she takes the cake. God knows she should be heavily medicated in a rubber room. I would be surprised if she hasn't yet threatened physical harm to another, for sure she has harmed herself. But, none of my business now. She is now in NYFC.

When I was a construction estimator, a co-worker was barely equipped for the job. Then there were the horsing around, shenanigans which distracted others from their work. This buffoon would boast of several Master degrees and working his way through a doctorate in Economics at Harvard. His lack of integrity was for the books, his personal achievements, other than uni degrees, was near worthless.

The prior two examples have shown me that degrees mean little. All they really show is that the person has good study skills in a formal environment. Perhaps that explains why so many 'professors' have never left academia to enter into the real world after graduation; there is the strong doubt they could sufficiently function.

Rick

Unknown said...

To clarify, both who refused to take the BAR said their reason was because in law school they had met so many students, even professors, who were of such turpitude as to be avoided at all costs. And when that condition is wide throughout the field, it is best to remain outside of that field.

Rick