Thursday, July 18, 2019

I agree - Low Profile Tires are absolute trash

Nice to see other people acknowledge that fact.

Low-profile tires are all the rage these days, and mostly for aesthetics, as automakers want to project “performance” or whatever. But most people, even the ones who think they are into super hyper ultra performance, don’t need these garbage pieces of rubber.

Your tires are the most important accessory you can put on your car, for the simple fact that they are the part of the car that touches the road.  And you can quibble about my use of the word "accessory".  Call them what you want.  Good tires mean good handling and good protection for your ride, and low profile tires are never good tires.  Oh, you'll pay a mint for them, but that doesn't mean they're good.  They're trash.  They are incapable of handling the bumps of the road like a normal tire would, which means your shocks and struts take a beating, and all that beating transfers to the rest of your vehicle.  You want your car to die an early death, or eat you up on repair bills?  Put low profiles on. 

And just in case anyone cares, I have Michelin Defenders on my car.  I want tires that can handle some snow and ice, given where I live now and where I plan on visiting.  I had the standard tires that came from the factory when I first bought the car.  Putting on good tires changed the way the car handled.  I could stop faster in shorter distances.  It was quieter.  It handled wet roads far better.  I used to get my tires to squeal if I really pushed it around some corners where I lived, and now I can't even get them to chirp around a corner unless I emulate an F1 racer.

Get good tires.  And that, by definition, precludes any low profile tires.

No comments: