Monday, June 03, 2019

Holy &^%$# House Rentals, Batman

Sooooo, I don't know if anyone has lived in or around Salt Lake City in the past.  I can recall living here when I was a long-haired hippy child, but that was in the 90's.  One of the Chaplains I worked with bought a house here in the mid-2000's, and his mortgage in this current day and age wouldn't get you half a duplex.

The Ragin' Mrs and I, and yes with house hunting in this market she is the RAGIN' MRS, have been trying to find a decent rental house.  Now, keep in mind that I'm stationed in Salt Lake City.  I cannot afford to live in Salt Lake City.  So we are looking an hour away from my duty station, and we're still batting 0.000 right now.  I think you could rent out a cardboard box on the sidewalk for at least $500, and have five applications by the second day it was on the market.

Good Lord.  I cannot wait to retire, and then move to where I want to live.  Of course, there's no guarantee that I can afford anything by that point.

5 comments:

Scottww said...

Yep - Was in MS on a contract with L3, then at the end took a position with BAE at Hill AFB to get closer to my kids in ID and WA. Was lucky enough to find a decent lease home in Layton about a mile from the base but you are right - the lease/rent is ridic here. Utilities not bad but with all of the tech moving to the new tech "mecca" of SLC/Provo/NSLC good lease homes at a decent price in a decent neighborhood are hard to find......Good luck!

p2 said...

my old boss is leaving there shortly. he's got a place in south jordan. i font know if hes selling or renting it out but ill ask if ya want

Ragin' Dave said...

Keep in mind that our budget is about 1300-1400 for rent. The rest has of the BAH has to go to utilities. That's a big part of the problem. If I wanted to spend $2500, I could get a house, but there's no way I can afford that kind of money.

p2 said...

ill give him a holler. letcha know via email

scottW said...

Yep - we have a smaller 3 br home leased in Layton - around 1800 with utilities...But could not find anything less expensive. Good luck to you in the search...