Tuesday, January 19, 2016

So now Glenn Frey is gone as well

I grew up listening to the Eagles.  But in all reality, their careers were over by the time I entered high school, if not long before.  Out of all the folks who have passed lately I think I'll miss Alan Rickman the most, because he was a delight to watch in any role.

However, I don't know if I'm really broken up about it.  I see lots of people all upset over Bowie, and Rickman, and the other folks who have died lately, while my reaction has been one more of "Oh damn, that sucks."

I think it's because A) as a Catholic, I don't believe that death is the end.  It's just a transition.

And B)  People die.  Careers die, and I think Glenn Frey's career died long before he did.  That doesn't mean I don't like his music, or that he didn't have talent; he had tons of talent, and I've spent hours singing along to a lot of his songs.  But there's new music coming out every day.  I'll be quoting Alan Rickman until the day I die (....and CALL OFF CHRISTMAS!") but there are other actors still making a name for themselves who I'll enjoy next year.

Life is a cycle.  The world keeps turning.  Nothing we can do will stop that.

No comments: