Thursday, August 27, 2015

I like fried okra

But a co-worker just gave me about two pounds of the fresh stuff, and I have no earthly idea what else to do with it.  I mean, fried okra is the bomb, but I don't need that much.

So c'mon, you Southern gents, give me your ideas.  The Ragin' Mrs. and I are thinking about cutting off the tops and filling them up like jalapeño poppers.  I want to cut them in half, stuff them with sausage and make little tasty boats out of them.  Anybody got any good recipes?

4 comments:

Francis W. Porretto said...

Okra is usually included in a gumbo.

Ragin' Dave said...

Too hot in SoCal to have a soup right now. I'm thinking about grilling them.

Gerry N. said...

I tried okra ONCE. I recommend it be deposited in the big lidded galvanized container sitting just outside the back door. Putting it in a heavy duty plastic bag first is suggested.

Okra is one of those things that like lutefisk, is regarded as "food" for no known reason. I also tried lutefisk ONCE.

I'll try almost anything ONCE. That's how I leaned about octopus, which I do like, especially pickled.



Ragin' Dave said...

Lutefisk is nothing more than a delivery vehicle for melted butter. The Scandinavians can't understand why we keep eating it over here.

And I like octopus. I think the strangest food I've eaten so far is jellyfish. Had that when I was in Korea. They put a hot mustard sauce on it. It was good, but I paid for it later.