Wednesday, August 13, 2014

A thousand times, this.

Erin Palette in the comments yesterday made a statement that I'd like to repeat:

"YOU SELFISH MOTHERFUCKER YOU ONLY SUCCEEDED IN HURTING THE PEOPLE WHO CARED ABOUT YOU."

Suicide hurts everyone around.  It is probably the single most painful and selfish thing you can do to the people who care about you.  I've had to go to a funeral of a friend who committed suicide, and his poor mother could not understand what had happened.  She would ask me and everyone else why he did it, and we had no answers.

I feel a great deal of pity for Robin Williams, but that pity ends at the point he tied a belt around his neck and stepped off his chair.  I have no doubt he was a tortured soul, but that never excuses ending your own life and transferring that torture to everyone you love.

I won't even get in to the Catholic view of suicide.  Suffice to say that when I called it the "unforgivable sin" I wasn't far off.

So I'm right there with Erin.  Fuck you, Robin Williams, for hurting everyone you loved.  Fuck you for hurting everyone around you.  Fuck you for putting all your friends and family in such pain and grief.  Robin Williams committed one of the most selfish acts in the world, and there is no amount of depression on his part that can excuse the pain and suffering that his family is going through right now.

There is never a happy ending in suicide.  For anyone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

People can become mentality ill as well as physically ill. Some just lose hope. They can not continue. It is difficult for the sane to understand. Unforgivable sin? F+--k you? Who made you folks God?
I hope there is never a suicide in your family. There has been in mine.

Drumwaster said...

Suicide is the ultimate act of selfishness. It says, "I don't care about the feelings of those I leave behind, and actively want to ruin the life of whichever of my 'loved ones' is doomed to find my body. I am saying that my pain is SO inexplicable (all evidence to the contrary ignored) and SO unique (ditto) that no one would ever be able to help me because they just wouldn't understand, so I am going to leave them all in misery and doubt." It ignores the possibility of success through treatment, religion, medications or just the act of putting someone else's needs ahead of his wants.

So yeah, Robin was a funny guy, but he screwed over his entire family in his eagerness to put an end to his own pain in the most destructive manner possible.

If you need help, ASK FOR IT. There are huge groups of people all over the planet willing, nay, EAGER to help.

Ragin' Dave said...

Who made us God? Nobody. That's the point. Who made Robin Williams God, deciding to inflict pain, suffering and agony on his family while they try to figure out what happened and why he did it?