Tuesday, February 25, 2014

The M4/M16 debate rears it's ugly head again

I can't say I like the M4 or the M16.  I don't.  There are a lot of reasons for that.  Many of those reasons are detailed here.  However, the one huge problem that the gun has, and I've gone over this multiple times, is that it's a gas-operated system.  The gasses from the expended round are fed back into the bolt to push it back and cycle the feeding operation.

The gun shits where it eats.

That's bad.

What's good is that you can fix that problem without having to buy a whole new weapons system.  Replace the gas tube with a gas piston, which keeps all the carbon and crap and heat out of the chamber.  Will it cost a bunch to refit all the rifles and carbines in the US military?  Yes.  But not nearly as much as buying all new guns.

2 comments:

yesiamapirate said...

Unfortunately, going back to the M-14 isn't an option. Still gas operated but an absolutely beautiful weapon.

Anonymous said...

AR-10 with a gas piston. That's the ticket. I carried an m-4(GAU-5 according to the Air Force, don't ask me why, I don't know) variant in the military, it was satisfactory.