In the past, I heard a wilderness survivalist refer to what he call the "Five Cs" for basic survival.
1. A cutter. Some sort of a bladed instrument or multi tool.
2. A container. Something to hold your survival equipment and also serve as a water container and cooking implement.
3. A combustible. Some instrument that can be used to start fires.
4. A cover. Small tarp or poncho to provide shelter.
5. Cordage. A ball of heavy twine or 550 cord covers more uses than can be covered in just a few sentences.
You can pack these few very useful items with minimal weight and then expand your B.O.B. as circumstances dictate.
That's good advice right there.