Monday, March 08, 2010

Was 'Hurt Locker' anti-Military or not?

Sure the director got to burn her ex-husband so she probably carried off the Oscar based on the angry-woman vote. And sure she said the right things about the military she may have defamed in her Oscar acceptance speech.

But was the film truly anti-Military or just implicitly anti-Military because of it's protagonists' angst? Perhaps it was pro-Military in the sense that he was the exception that proves the rule of concientious, and sane, service by Americans in uniform? Certainly Avatar was self-delusion agit-prop and perhaps the defeat of that film was in itself some small sign of advocacy for our service men and women.

My impression was tainted by my memories of the movie "War Lover" starring Steve McQueen. But as WWII was so clearly a 'good war' an exception like Steve McQueen's character is less risky in it's portayal of excess.

So I invite comment to educate me.

2 comments:

Ragin' Dave said...

Haven't seen it, so I can't comment.

Hell, I haven't seen ANY of the movies that were nominated.

DANEgerus said...

Actually... Hurt Locker was the least seen Best Picture Oscar winner in history.

Nobody saw it...