Friday, December 04, 2009

Snow last night

Actually, it snowed all yesterday, really light stuff. Most of it didn't stick, but we got about an inch or so of actual snow on the ground. The Ragin 'Mrs. and I had to go to a restaurant to have dinner with some high-ranking folks, so we drove 35 miles on the interstate to get there.

Wow.

Just wow.

People don't know how to drive. Period. Plain and simple, they don't have a fucking clue. One inch of snow. Which means a wet, slightly slick road, but nothing horrible. No layers of ice. No snow blowing everywhere. And people couldn't handle it. The Mrs. and I saw one RAV-4 that was turned into an accordion. Folks, Four Wheel Drive does NOT mean Four Wheel Stop.

Bah. Same thing back home. We could tell who all the Californians were after the first snow, when all four tires on their lovely brand new SUV were turning oh-so-slightly as their new vehicle lay on it's side in a ditch.

I blame the automatic transmission. And every other gadget that makes it easier to drive while your brain is disengaged. Once you took the actual work out of driving, it was like people just switched their brains off once they got behind the wheel. It's like they only have one key, and that key goes to both their brain and their car ignition, so they reach up, turn their brain off, pull the key out of their brain and stick it in their car.

People had better be damned glad I'm not driving a bigger vehicle. If I could put a steel grate on the front of my truck, I'd be pushing those stupid assholes out of my way.

No comments: