Sunday, November 08, 2009

In comments

Both at Rivrdog's and Og's is a discussion started by one Roberta X about the role religion played in the Ft. Hood shootings. What prompted this particular post is her reply to my comment at Rivrdog's, wherein she states:

Judge people by their actions (and not by the crazy stuff written in their holy book, which you can find in any religion's writings) or go stand over there with the Nazis and the Commies. It's all the same to me, because I look on you -- and my baby brother and cops, cabdrivers and co-eds -- with as much suspicion as I do Muslims.

She then goes on to accuse both myself and Rivrdog of "painting with a very broad brush".


Wow. Look at that sentance she wrote. And she thinks that I paint with a very broad brush? Yeah.

Look, I'm not a Roberta hater, so don't think that I'm getting all pissy with her. But on this subject, she's wrong. And trying to claim that all religions have weird stuff written in their holy book is intellectually dishonest. "Weird", maybe. Calling for the adherents of a religion to either convert or kill the infidels? Well, that pretty much narrows it down to one - Islam.

Does this mean that all Muslims are going to go on a shooting rampage? No. But it does mean that they have a predication for violence against non-believers. And the more power they get, the more violent they get. Ask Geert Wilders, or Theo van Gogh. Ask Ayaan Hirsi Ali.

Ah, wait, you can't ask Theo van Gogh, he was stabbed to death by a Muslim for daring to make a movie about Islam. I guess that's another little "weird" thing written in a holy book, right?

Not all religions are the same. Not all religions call for their believers to kill non-believers. In fact, as far as I know only one religion does so: Islam. Islam might not be the reason for people going nuts, but it sure enourages it and nurtures it, grows it, and then lets it loose. To quote Og:

So, Ms Rx, it is unfair to paint Muslims with a broad brush that says ‘Terrorist”. But to paint them wiht a brush that says” potential dangerous kook that should be watched carefully” yes, that’s just fine by me. And it’s mathematically true that if you JUST painted muslims with that brush, you’d have made a pretty safe bet.
And I'm off for the day. Y'all have fun.

No comments: