Saturday, April 11, 2009

Sometimes I love the Brits

Like this guy, who pretty much eviscerates the Teleprompter Jesus:

Then came the dramatic bit, the authentic West Wing script, with the President wakened in the middle of the night in Prague to be told that Kim Jong-il had just launched a Taepodong-2 missile. America had Aegis destroyers tracking the missile and could have shot it down. But Uncle Sam had a sterner reprisal in store for l'il ole Kim (as Dame Edna might call him): a multi-megaton strike of Obama hot air.

"Rules must be binding," declared Obama, referring to the fact that Kim had just breached UN Resolutions 1695 and 1718. "Violations must be punished." (Sounds ominous.) "Words must mean something." (Why, Barack? They never did before, for you - as a cursory glance at your many speeches will show.)

President Pantywaist is hopping mad and he has a strategy to cut Kim down to size: he is going to slice $1.4bn off America's missile defence programme, presumably on the calculation that Kim would feel it unsporting to hit a sitting duck, so that will spoil his fun
This is a must read. Found the link here, read it, stole it. I'm sorry, but nobody does put-downs like the British. Unfortunately, they either can't defend themselves, or they're not allowed to defend themselves, and have turned into a nation of ...... well, I don't quite know what. Perhaps the best term for it would be a nation in decline.

A father-of-two was beaten to death by drunken thugs after police told him they were too busy to help.

James Straiton, 59, and his neighbours dialled 999 six times while the gang were threatening to smash their way into his flat.

But operators said the force was experiencing a ‘high volume’ of calls and suggested they call a non-emergency number


I could possibly see that happening in LA or San Fran or NYFC. But around here? The conversation would go like this:

Neighbor: Some guy is beating up my neighbor!
Operator: Sir, we're experiencing a high volume of calls, perhaps you could call a non-emergency number?
Neighbor: BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM!
........
Neighbor: Never mind, just send the coroner.

Of course, back in my home stomping grounds, if someone is beating up the neighbor, you send someone ELSE to call the police while you grab your guns and run to help. And if there's no one around to call the police, fuck 'em, you grab your guns and you GO HELP YOUR NEIGHBOR. If my neighbor here is getting attacked in her home, I'm grabbing my guns and running to her aid, and if the cops don't get called until later, fine. They can help remove the bodies. If my wife is home, she can call the cops, but only while she's protecting our house and herself with her guns.

Bad people are out there. And bad people do bad things. It's a fact of life. Either you're willing to protect yourself, or you are not. Me, I'm willing to protect myself, my family, my neighbors, my friends, because I know they would all protect me as well.

No comments: