Thursday, May 22, 2008

Am I missing something?

I do read the news, but this is the first I've heard of this:

Hundreds of employee laptops are unaccounted for at the U.S. Department of State, which conducts delicate, often secret, diplomatic relations with foreign countries, an internal audit has found.

As many as 400 of the unaccounted for laptops belong to the department’s Anti-Terrorism Assistance Program, according to officials familiar with the findings.

I just got my security clearance renewed. Would anyone care to guess what would happen to me if I misplaced a laptop computer with classified information on it?

Can you say "Revoked Security Clearance"? I new you could! Could you say "Loss of employment"? I knew you could! My new MOS requires a Secret security clearance. If I lose my clearance, I lose my MOS. Period.

If I lost over 400 damn computers, I would be spending the rest of my life in Ft. Leavenworth, breaking big rocks into little rocks.

“Unaccounted for” does not necessarily mean the laptops have been lost. But they are “missing” until they have been found or otherwise accounted for.

Auditors found that the department had lost track of $30 million worth of equipment, according to one official, “the vast majority of which . . . perhaps as much as 99 per cent,” was laptops.


I want everyone to think about this, and ask if this is really the government they want running more and more of their lives..........

Found via Supply Side Politics. (v2.0, even!)

No comments: