Friday, February 22, 2008

Details, details

Way back when, many moons ago, in a galaxy far, far away.... back when I was an MP, one of the many things drilled into my head by my NCO's was a simple, yet true statement: "If you're going to enforce the law, you had better damned well follow the law!" Simple, yet true. If I pulled you over for speeding, yet I sped in my own car, I was a hypocrite, wasn't I? If I arrested you for driving drunk, yet I got tanked up and drove home, wasn't I breaking the very same law?

In order to enforce the law, you have to follow the law. Doing otherwise makes you a hypocrite, a coward, enforcing a double-standard. One law for me, and one law for thee. It's rotten, foul, and there's not enough horrible things that I can say about someone who does that.

Much like the BATFU.

Just to be clear - the BATF is flat out hammering people for minor paperwork errors. Things just as putting a "Y" into a spot instead of the word "yes". THAT minor. And yet these fucktards are labeling a Glock as a "revolver", or a revolver as a Glock, even though Glock does not make a revolver at all.

Compared to shortening the word "yes" to the letter "Y", what the BATFU has done is a major fuck-up. That's akin to labeling the Grand Canyon as a minor mountain range in Arizona. Huge fuck-up. Massive fuck-up. You're supposed to be enforcing firearms laws, and yet you can't even properly tell what a firearm IS?

I'm reminded of that South Park episode where Cartman becomes a police officer....

CARTMAN: Do you know how fast you were going sir?

DRIVER: Uh... 35?

CARTMAN: Do you know what the speed limit is here sir?

DRIVER: Isn't it 35 miles per hour?

CARTMAN: ......... Step out of the car please sir.
Again, if you're going to enforce the law, you had damned well better follow the law. Since the BATFU has shown that it couldn't even find it's own ass with both hands, a map and a guide dog, the fact that it doesn't even know the difference between a semi-auto and a revolver should come as no surprise. The surprise is the fact that the BATFU is still allowed to enforce the law.

Yet another government agency that should be collectively tarred, feathered, and ridden out of town on a rail.

By the way, Red's Trading Post, a good Idaho company, can be found on the blogroll under "The Second Amendment".

No comments: