Sunday, November 25, 2007

Credo in unum Deum

The Chapel is doing the Trinitine Rite Mass today. In the original Latin. This normally wouldn't be a problem, except for the fact that I don't know Latin, and the entire Mass is sung. The priest will be doing most of the singing, but I as the choir director am expected to be able to sing the parts normally sung by the congregation. Kyrie, Gloria, Credo, Sanctus and Agnus Dei.

So I've found myself trying to learn Latin just so that I can perform those songs. And I can't say that I've done a very good job. It's at this point that I want to go back many years and curse whoever at my high school decided that Latin didn't need to be offered as a language course. So I took Spanish. Grrrrrrrrrr. For all that Spanish is a Latin language, I would have been better off taking Swahili instead and learning Latin from scratch.

Ah well...... the one thing a choir director needs to have is a complete and total lack of shame or pride, because you're going to mess SOMETHING up, and you can't care about it. You just need to keep on going and pick up where you left off. I don't think anyone in the congregation will notice, but I'm pretty sure the Priest is going to have some words for me after the Mass.

Off I go. Wish me luck!

UPDATE: You know what today was? Today was God telling me that I need to be more humble.

Thatisall.

No comments: