Wednesday, July 04, 2007

The Fourth of July

So, two hundred and thirty-one years ago, we proclaimed our independence from Britain.

Actually, it's not quite so simple as that, is it?

In 1776, a group of patriots, people who dreamed of freedom, people who had an idea for a better country, got together and decided that against all odds, they were going to go up against the strongest, farthest reaching, most powerful empire in the world. They did it for an idea that perhaps somehow they could win and create a prosperous land for everyone.

And they won.

They did what people thought was impossible - the defeated Great Britain. Oh, they had some help, yes. But they did what nobody even thought possible at that time - they defeated the greatest Army in the world.



Since then, America has had her struggles, her problems to overcome, but we have become the living embodiment of freedom, hope, opportunity and liberty.

Now, I'm not going to stand here and tell you that America is perfect. But I will say this - despite our imperfections, we are still the best damn country on the face of this Earth. And to anyone who scoffs at that and calls me nationalistic, or simplistic, or any other names that "progressive" types like to sneer, I have just one question:

Which way are the people headed? In, or out?

This isn't just the nation I was born in, this is the nation that I choose to be a citizen of. This is the nation I choose to grow old in. This is the nation that I choose to defend, with my life if necessary.

I, David ******, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God.


I have represented America in foreign countries. I wear her flag on my right arm. I have sworn to defend her against all enemies. Today, I'm going to enjoy myself and remember all the reasons I have done so. I'll be grilling, and drinking beer, and hugging my wife, and watching the fireworks. But above all, I will be remembering exactly why I'm proud to be a citizen of this great country.

Happy Fourth of July, folks. I hope you enjoy it. And this last picture is just because I liked it so much.

No comments: