Monday, February 19, 2007

Self-Immolation

I'm talking, this guy just poured about ten gallons of jet fuel on himself and lit a match.

In a nutshell, Jim Zumbo, Outdoor Life columnist and perhaps the most visible outdoor writer in the United States, wrote a blogpost (linked below) calling for the banning of ARs, AKs and similar “terrorist” rifles from hunting. Nevermind that there are ARs that outshoot almost any bolt-action rifle out there. Zumbo wrote the post after a varmint shoot testing Remington’s new .17 centerfire Spitfire cartridge (which I believe is simply their version of the venerable .17 Mach IV), so he can’t claim ignorance of the perfection of a high-capacity autoloading rifle in the varmint fields. No, the man’s just a bigot.

After a blogswarm of comments by irate 2A supporters canceling their Outdoor Life subscriptions and calling for a boycott of Remington (Zumbo’s prime sponsor for his TV show Jim Zumbo Outdoors), Zumbo apologized, stating that he plans to learn all about ARs on a hunt with Ted Nugent (link below). Well, that’s nice. But Dumbo’s ill-thought comments are already being trumpeted by the Brady Bunch on their website (link is not to Brady but to Michael Bane’s blogpost about it).


Head on over to Phil's place to see just how fast Remington is distancing themselves from Zumbo.

Ouch.

Ouch.

OUCH!

Your attempt to throw me out of the sleigh, hoping that the wolves would be satisfied with my AR and would leave your precious bambi-zapper alone, is the most craven act of contemptible cowardice I've seen in a while. Now that I'm aware of your anti-gun nature, I'll be sure to cancel the one subscription to Outdoor Life that I have control over, and urge everyone else I know who subscribes to cancel theirs as well. Maybe after they ash-can you, you can go write policy columns for the Brady Center or the VPC.

I'm sure they'd love your little camouflage outfit and folksy wit. They'd find a place for you; after all, you're an "Authentic Gun Guy". *spit*


Back when I was an MP, there was something we called the "Career Warning Light". It's that little light that starts flashing in your brain right after you've done something incredibly stupid, and gotten caught with your pants down.

I imagine Jim Zumbo has his career warning light flashing like crazy right now. How much do you want to bet that his magazine editor is ripping their hair out right now? I mean, I don't know about you, but pissing off the majority of the people who buy your magazine can't be a good business model, can it? And since Zumbo wrote his screed in a blog post, the editor has no control, but it'll effect the magazine all the same.

From what I've seen, Remington has already dumped Zumbo on his ass. How long do you think it'll be before Outdoor Life does the same?

No comments: