Tuesday, December 12, 2006

My Bullshit Detector is going off

Seen this story yet?

BOSSIER CITY, La. — A pit bull puppy chewed off four of a baby girl's toes while the child's parents slept, police here said Monday. The parents were booked on charges of child desertion and criminal negligence and were being held in the Bossier Parish Jail pending an initial court appearance.

Police said the parents were sleeping on a mattress in the living room of their residence and the month-old girl was in an infant seat beside them when the puppy began chewing on their baby's toes.

Mary Shannon Hansche, 22, and Christopher Wayne Hansche, 26, told police they woke up to the sound of the baby crying, found her mangled foot and took her to the hospital about 8:30 a.m. Sunday.


Now, all you parents out there - I know that if I hear someone in distress, I wake up immidiately. I'm not talking stumbling around going "Wha? Wuzzat? Huh?" I'm talking about **BOING**-out-of-bed-wide-awake type waking up. When I stayed with my brother in law for a few days, he had his baby daughter a few rooms down. When that kid cried, I was wide awake. I think it's a human condition to recognize the sounds of distress in another human and respond to them.

So you tell me - how in the name of all that is holy could you sleep through a child having their toes chewed off? It's not an act of aggression from the dog. The thing is a puppy. Six weeks old. Puppies chew on things normally, so it wasn't like this dog just attacked the kid and tore their toes off. This had to go on for a good long while, and I'm pretty damn sure the kid was screaming bloody murder while it happened.

So if you're asleep right next to your kid, while it's screaming, HOW IN THE NAME OF HADES DO YOU NOT WAKE UP?!?!?!

Personally, I think the parents were either drunk or high, but that's because I've got a negative view on a lot of humanity.

No comments: