Tuesday, June 06, 2006

D-Day

I was going to post Patton's entire speech, but I see that Tim already posted a few excerpts.

Patton was a Soldier's general. He cussed up a storm. He drove people hard, and he wanted to kill as many Krauts as he could. When George C. Scott gave Patton's speech for the movie, the scriptwriters had to clean it up for general consumption.

Patton shat fire and saved matches. And I wish to god we had him in today's Army.

Then again, he'd probably be court-martialed for not being PC enough. Dammit.

In any case, I had a big post planned out today. Snark, invective, and enough verbal abuse aimed at the Left side of the blogosphere to leave nice red welts all over their bodies.

But then I thought... "Why?"

Why should I contaminate the memory of brave deeds sixty years ago by mixing them with references to today's traitors?

I shouldn't. And so I erased that post. D-Day was a hellish accomplishment, a monumental act that literally saved Europe. It required co-ordination between all the allies, the USA, Britain, Canada, the Aussies and Kiwis who fought and died next to us on the beaches of Normandy.

This is the day to remember them.

No comments: