Thursday, February 09, 2006

More linky Love

Walter Williams on what is a right. Found at LaShawn Barber's Corner. Outstanding stuff.

Second, a page that estimates your IQ based on your SAT scores. According to this page, I have an IQ that is either 134.97 or 137.30, depending on what form of the test I took. Since I can't remember which form I used for the SAT, (blame it on time and age) I'll split it down the middle. 136.14.

Not like that means much in the real world. But it's kinda cool. I'm sure there are others out there who will come on by and brag about how much higher their IQ's are than mine. To which I say, "So what?" IQ is a nifty number to bandy about, but in the end I really don't think it matters all that much. Intelligence is nothing without some way to make it work for you. Some of the brightest people I've known have been absolute retards in every other aspect of their life. Were they intelligent? Hell yes. But that was all they were. They might have been able to figure out a mathematical equation to determine the sound of one hand clapping, but the rest of their lives were absolute wrecks, because away from that mathematical equation they were essentially useless. "Book-smart and Life-stupid" was the phrase that applied to them the best. They could figure out exactly how much energy was produced by one cylinder of their car's engine, but they couldn't change a tire. They could determine the best angle for a steak-knife's blade, but they couldn't cook the steak. They could quantify the parts per million of an object that a fish could smell through water, but they couldn't catch that fish.

IQ without experience produces people who, in my opinion, are little more than highly trained retards. Which explains most of the professors at state universities in this country.

No comments: