Sunday, October 23, 2005

Good thoughts on a bad week

What a week. I would like to say that it was fun, and a great time had by all, but it wasn't. I haven't had a day to myself in several weeks..

Ah well. That's life in the Army, I guess.

But I won't bitch about my job too much on the blog. I volunteered for this shit, and I deal with it. However, I will tell you about two things that made my week a bit nicer. The number one thing that put a smile on my face today was walking into this store in Old San Juan. Don Collins cigars. Hoooo, boy, did that put a smile on my face.

I had been to the store before, several months ago. The Raging Mrs. and I were enjoying a walk through the city when I saw a sign that simply said "Cigars". I bought a few, and they were excellent. Since my brother's birthday is coming up, I figured I'd buy him a couple and mail them off.

When we walked in today, the salesman immediately offered me a cigar to sample on the house. I was more than happy to accept. While I puffed away, looking at the humidor, he offered me a sample of rum from a local distillery.

That was the second big smile of the day. More on that later.

So, I have a damn good cigar in one hand, a small glass of rum in the other, and I'm feeling pretty damn good. So I start talking to the guy. Turns out he graduated from the high school here on Ft. Buchanan. He can tell I'm a gringo, and we start chatting about the military while I'm browsing. I grab four cigars for my brother, two cheroots for the wife and myself, and I head towards the counter. The guy grabs four more cigars, says "I'll double you up on the house as long as you pass one or two out to your co-workers."

Done deal!

So, my co-workers are getting a good cigar, my brother is getting his stogies, I had one fine cigar and a glass of rum that knocked my socks off, and the wife has one happy husband.

It's been a damn good day!

Anyways, if you like a good cigar, check out Don Collins. It's all grown and crafted in Puerto Rico, and they're some of the best I've had. The Cupido Knuckles were probably number one on my list, but since they were a limited production and I can't get any more......

The second smile? The rum. Ron de Barrilito. Most people think of Puerto Rican rum as Bacardi and nothing else, but this stuff was liquid gold. I don't know if you can get it in the states or not, but the actual distillery is about one mile from my Battalion.

Lucky Me!

So anyways, check out the cigars if you like them. They're excellent smokes, and at a decent price. I'll be headed back there once my supply runs out. And if you can get Ron de Barrilito rum where you are, grab it. It's gooooooooooooooooood stuff.

And there you go. Two things I can smile about, no matter what else happens.

No comments: