Thursday, June 30, 2005

Oh Happy Day!

I was at the PX yesterday when I snagged my weekly copy of the Army times. It's a ritual, so I don't bother actually looking at the front page until I get it home.

So I get home, grab it out of the bag, and look at the cover. And promptly wet myself with joy.

The cover story? "Dump the M9? Why you may be turning in your 9mm for a .45"

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Now, it won't happen tomorrow, but it seems the top brass has finally listened to soldiers when they say that the M9 is a worthless piece of crap that doesn't work. The list of WHY it's a piece of crap has been gone over all too often, but I'll repeat a few points:

1) Steel slide with aluminum body. Gives you much more kick than a 9mm round should, due to being completely unbalanced.

2) Lack of stopping power. That's a given, since the military has to use ball ammunition, and the 9mm is a puny bullet.

3) Lack of lethality. There was a report of a terrorist being shot IN THE FRIGGING NECK with a 9mm, and it didn't drop the goat-fucker. Now, if you shoot someone in the neck, they should go down. Again, since the military is forced to use ball ammo, that puny little 9mm slug just went in one side and out the other with very little collateral damage to the surrounding tissue. A .45 would have blown half the bastard's neck out.

Oh, and by the way, the US Army SF uses a .45 ACP pistol. That tells you all you need to know.

In any case, within the next few years, the Army can look forward to a .45 pistol.

No comments: