Sunday, June 12, 2005

The China Problem

Mark Styne addresses it better than I can...

How long can these two systems co-exist in one country and what will happen when they collide? If the People's Republic is now the workshop of the world, the Communist Party is the bull in its own China shop. It's unclear, for example, whether they have the discipline to be able to resist moving against Taiwan in the next couple of years. Unlike the demoralised late-period Soviet nomenklatura, Beijing's leadership does not accept that the cause is lost: unlike most outside analysts, they do not assume that the world's first economically viable form of Communism is merely an interim phase en route to a free - or even free-ish - society.


My question has always been: How can a communist country pretend to be marginally capitalist? And how long can China continue flaunting every atrocity they commit without repercussions from the sane parts of the world?

I try to avoid buying anything from China, if possible. Anyways, go check out Styne, who is brilliant as usual.

On a different note, now that I'm back on active duty, my time to actually blog has gone down a bit. I'm still going to post, and I'm not giving up blogging, but don't expect three or four posts from me every day. They don't exactly have an internet connection during a field problem.

Anyways, see ya when I see ya.

No comments: