Monday, April 25, 2005

They were never anti-war...

They were just rooting for the other side.

Via Danegerus

It started out as a typical Wednesday for Preckshot, a 49-year-old who stands about 5-foot-2 and has hearing aids in both ears. She was standing on her normal spot on Providence Road, holding her signs in support of American soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan. For nearly four years now, this has been Preckshot?s life from about 4:15 to about 5:45 in the afternoon once a week. She started her solo troop-support effort to counteract the peace protesters who stand a couple of blocks away at the intersection of Providence and Broadway. The peaceniks hold signs that say things such as ?honk for peace? and ?end the occupation.?

They outnumber Preckshot every Wednesday, but she stands out there just the same, sometimes drawing another supporter or two to help her effort.

On this particular Wednesday - it was March 16 - her effort seemed to annoy a couple of the protesters. Not satisfied with their own peace protest, a pair of peaceniks grabbed their signs and made their way to Preckshot, who normally stands outside the Bloomers flower shop near Locust Street.


C'mon, you all KNOW what's going to happen, don't you?

?He started taunting me and reached out and pushed on my shoulder,? Preckshot says. ?Each time he pushed, it got a little harder. When I saw his hand come at me again, I grabbed it. I felt fearful.?

As Preckshot pushed the man?s hand away, ?he slugged me right in the face,? she says.


I don't know what's worse. The fact that it happened, or the fact that I'm not surprised.

No comments: