Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Lileks

Having lived on the East Coast, I can see why some people love it. And I understand why I didn’t, in the end. At some point in your life you may think I'd prefer a little less public urination, if I might. The fact that some prefer the Big City strikes me as utterly unremarkable, and I’d bet that most people in Red states don’t think much about why Blue staters like to live in concentrated urban centers. Why? Because they don’t care. They know that the big cities have advantages the rural areas lack, but they’re not that important to them, and they don’t worry about what they’re missing. If they do, then they move.


Ah yes, the happy memory of walking to the market in downtown Seattle and having to skirt the piles of feces that the drunk and drugged out bums left anywhere they could. Gee, who wouldn't miss that?

Maybe what often bothers the Blue staters isn't the ire of the Maroonies; in the end, it's the relative indifference. We think of you, all right - just not as much as you think about yourselves. And probably more than you think about us. Take care; love, Red.


Yeah, there's a reason this man gets paid to write.

No comments: