Sunday, December 05, 2004

Public Libraries and People who Love them

Such as myself right now.

I tried getting online in the barracks, but my modem doesn't like the military phone system that's set up. Other people have also tried and failed, so I know it's not my computer, it's something with the post phones.

Blah.

So anyways, how's everybody doing? I gotta say that the school is better than I expected. They keep us busy enough during the day. The barracks are... well.... barracks. Don't expect to much. No alcohol allowed in them either, but right now the wife is using up all our cash getting the household moved, so I don't have the money to buy booze anyways. It's not too bad though. I get chow three times a day on Uncle Sam's dime, so I can't complain. The only real gripe I have is being unable to get online and check email or blogs. I'm still working on that one, so bear with me.

Right now I'm sitting at the Lewis and Clark Library in Helena, Montana. They have a decent computer set up that allows just about anybody to get online for an hour. Depending on how much free time I have coming up (which might not be much) I'll try to get down here and online about once a week. I can't say that I'll be doing much ranting and raving though. Not enough time. When ya only get an hour, ya gotta use it wisely.

So this is just a quick post to say "Hi" and let people know I was alive. Don't bother commenting, I won't be able to read them for a week or so, possibly longer. I see that Analog Kid had another Blastorama. Lucky bastard. I wish I could have brought my 30-06 out here, there are deer EVERYWHERE. They're used to humans on post, and I got to about five feet of a four-point buck before he started walking away. There's also jackrabbits all over the place. If I had my .22 rifle, I could be making rabbit stew right about now.

Mmmmmmmmmmm. Rabbit stew.

The downside of that is the sheer about of deer and rabbit shit that lay all over the post. Piles and piles of it. I was doing PT the other day, took a spill, and slid through about five piles of it before I stopped. Thank god the laundry machines here don't cost anything.

Anyways, keep trucking, and I'll see you all later. No guarantees of when I'll be able to get online, so don't expect me too much. I'll make it out of here in time to have Christmas with my family after all, and after that, depending on when and if the Army has me down for my next school, I'll be heading down to Texas. Life is going along.

I do miss my wife, talk to her every night, and can't wait to see her again. But we both knew I was going to be away for a while getting trained. I'll be home for Christmas, and that's the best present I could ask for.

I'll see you all later!

No comments: