Sunday, July 11, 2004

Weekend Update

It's been a pretty good weekend so far. The girlfriend and I continued our work on refinishing the chair, until we were interrupted by a thunderstorm that blew in suddenly. Typical Seattle weather; if you don't like it, wait five minutes and it'll change. Still, we managed to get all the varnish off the disassembled pieces. Unfortunately I had to use such a coarse grit to remove the crud, we're having to sand each piece two or three more times in order to smooth it out before we stain it. It's slow going, but it'll be worth it.

Took the new camera out for a spin downtown last night. I bought a cable shutter release, and toyed around with holding the shutter open to see how it works. Hopefully I'll have some cool pictures, but if not I can chalk it up to a learning experience. I'm using a tripod that my father bought in the 1960's, and gave to me a few months ago. I just think that's kinda cool. The girlfriend and I made a date out of it, had a nice dinner, and then we walked around for a few hours.

It's getting harder and harder to find a restaurant that allows cigar smoking in this town. I'd like to be able to sit back, fire up a good stogie and have a glass of scotch after dinner. That seems to be fading away in Seattle. If there's any businessmen reading, here's an idea for you to run with: Start up a restaurant where you can smoke a good cigar, and you don't have to hide in some little room to do so. It'll be a hit, trust me. Market yourself to the smokers, place ads in cigar magazines, put up ads in all the smokeshops. You'll be rich. With all the BS that cigar smokers have gone through in this state, we'd welcome a place that looks at us like decent customers. Seriously, you're talking about people who will spend $10-$15 for a single good cigar, do you think we're gonna skimp on the dinner that we have right before we smoke it? Hell no.

All in all, it's been a relaxing weekend. If I see anything that gets my heartrate up, I'll post it.

No comments: