Monday, May 10, 2004

Great GOOGLY MOOGLY!

Now, I know that many people who read this blog are big on the more.. ahem... MODERN firearms. I understand. A semi-automatic rifle has advantages over a bolt-action or single-shot rifle that can't be touched when it comes to serious fire. And of course, most semi-autos have a larger ammo capacity than the old bolties. It's been the natural progression of firearms through the years. Muskets and flintlocks progressed to muzzleloaders, which progressed to repeating rifles and bolt actions, which progressed to semi-autos, ect., ect., you get the point.

But my recalcitrant heart loves the old bolt-actions. I love the whole history of it all. I love holding a rifle in my hands that has secrets I can't even begin to dream of. I know that if it ever came to combat, I would set aside my trusted bolt-action for something more modern, but if I don't have to shoot at anyone I want my time-tested piece of history. My 1903A3, sportsterized as it is, still brings a smile to my face every time I shoot it. There's something about a WWII battle rifle, scarred and worn, yet still in perfect working order that appeals to me. My affinity for revolvers lies in much the same vein, as does the appeal to my 1911A1. A semi-auto, yes, but a semi-auto who's design comes from WORLD WAR ONE. If that's not time tested, I don't know what is.

So imagine my pain, my surprise, and my horror when I opened up an advertisement from Sunday's paper and saw that Big 5 Sporting Goods has '91/30' Russian Mosin Nagant bolt action rifles for $75.00. 7.62X54R, 5-round fixed magazine, arsenal refinished. Oh my friends, it was most painful indeed.

For I have not the funds to get this rifle. This piece of history lock, stock and barrel.

If the stickers get here in time, I'm putting them up for sale just to get the funds for this rifle. This is one of those deals that you cannot pass up, as a collector or as a sportsman. If any of my readers are in the Seattle area, GO GET ONE OF THESE! You won't regret it. (for those who don't know, a 7.62 round is a 30 Caliber round, the same as the 30-30, 30-06, M-60, .308 Winchester, and many others. Good for hunting)

No comments: