Saturday, April 24, 2004

Non-Political day

After reading TVE's essay down below, I'm not writing a single political thing today. Nope. I ain't gonna dilute that.

So what will I write about? How about lawns. Yes, lawns. I did some much needed yard work yesterday, and I've come to the conclusion that lawns were invented by people who sat on their ass and had the servents mow the damn things. Because nobody in their right mind would ever purposely cover their yard in something that takes so much money, time, and effort ON A WEEKLY BASIS. Mow the grass. Fertilize. Weed and feed. Yada yada yada. By the time you're done, the day is wasted, your wallet is empty, the lawnmower is a smoking wreck, and oh good you get to do it all over again NEXT week, otherwise your front yard starts to look like the Amazon and you're getting dirty looks from your neighbors.

Seriously, I hate having a lawn. I hate mowing grass. Give me landscaped garden beds and brick pathways, or even just some ground cover that doesn't require hours of maintainence every week.

Bah. Lawns. What are they good for, anyway? Besides lunch for a passing horse, that is. (Yeah, I grew up in the country, what's it too ya?)

On the other hand, the gardens are doing well. I'm starting to have some peas and corn poke their heads up. I bought some starter tomato plants, and they've been planted and watered. The lettuce, carrot and onion bed has been raided by the local cats looking for a litter box, so I'll have to start that over. Crap. Ah well, I learned a new trick that should keep the stupid bastards out of the bed. And if that doesn't work, I still have my pellet gun. Heeeeeeere kitty kitty kitty! The only thing left is to start the peppers. Unfortunately, peppers don't get too hot around the Seattle area. Not dry or hot enough, I guess. The jalapenos I grew last year were good, but they weren't hot. Most of them ended up in my pepper sauce, which was rather mild. Good, but mild.

Anyways, it's a free day for me, and I'm taking the girlfriend out and about. I'll see you all tomorrow. Now go read TVE's piece!

No comments: