Thursday, March 18, 2004

Making me scratch my head

So a Methodist Minister comes out and says she's gay.

The Methodists say "Well, OK, you can't be a minister anymore. You know, that whole Bible thing, sinning, all that." The Methodists hold a church trial to determine whether or not she should have her ministry removed.

Protests abound.

Now, Let me pose a scenario for you. Let's say that I joined the "Young Democrats". I know I know, stop laughing. This is hypothetical. So I join the Young Democrats, and I manage to work my way up in the leadership. Once I'm in a leadership position, I suddenly announce "I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT, AND IT IS REPUBLICAN! ALL HAIL THE GOP!"

How fast do you think I'd be kicked out?

Let's keep in mind that the ministry is not something that you're forced to do. It's something that you choose to do. And by choosing of your own volition to do it, you also choose to place yourself UNDER THAT GROUP'S RULES. You decided to play their game, so you have to play by their rules. Got it?

If this woman wants to be gay and proud, more power to her. But she does not have the right to change an entire religion just to suit her needs. And demanding that a church accept a practicing gay minister is a fundamental change. In my mind, this woman just needs to be kicked out on her ass, and leave it at that.

And of course, this happened around the People's Republic of Seattle.

(editor's note = violation, volition, they could both work, although one would detail much more interesting story lines! Thanks, Jason)

No comments: